Saturday, November 3, 2012

7 inch Pedigree Delite Dolls

In the 1950s my sister and I were given one of these little Pedigree Delite dolls each by our Mum.  My sister's doll had dark hair and was called Gwenny and mine had blond hair and was called Joanie.  Both were named after girls that we knew. It wasn't until I started collecting these dolls a few years ago that I found out that they came in various themes such as Nursery Rhyme characters, Story Book characters and dolls representing different countries.  Ours came naked in their original boxes and I remember making little dresses for them to wear.


From left to right: a Japanese doll, Little Bo-peep complete with crook, Robin Hood, a couple of African dolls, a pirate and a school boy.

 
Starting with the same school boy, from left to right: School girl, nurse, Scottish boy, little girl in a blue felt dress (I might give her a red felt hood and cape later and call her Red Riding Hood), a pair of African dolls which need clothes, a English bobby, a dark haired girl waiting for a replacement Irish Colleen dress (I have kept the tatty original one for a pattern) and another pirate.  I have another Scottish boy doll who is Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son.
 
The English bobby outfit is not on the original doll which became infected with the dreaded "Pedigree cancer" so I destroyed it and put the clothes which were in excellent condition onto a naked doll. His shoes still need to be painted black. In the cupboard I still have two naked blond haired girls, two naked dark haired girls, a naked boy and another African doll with no arms.
 
Because these dolls are for my own pleasure and not for an investment I am not too worried if the outfits are not genuine or are missing parts.  For instance, my two pirates are similar but one has his sword and is missing his original bandana while the other one has a red bandana with white spots on his head and is minus a sword. One Bo-peep is missing her crook and the chances of me getting another one is pretty remote while the chances of finding two dark African arms is nil.......

5 comments:

  1. Vivienne, I am fascinated by your doll house rooms and hope you'll post lots more photos as you go. I think it's a great idea to make the rooms separate from the furniture piece that they will be displayed in. It's probably easier to work on them that way, and everything is more versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I can no longer access this blog so I have created a new one which you will find at http://anlabydollhouseminis.blogspot.com.au/ where I am literally carrying on from where this one finished.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE seeing your collection and am in AWE of how you can make these small creations!!! Look forward to seeing the rooms build as you complete them. ENJOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delightful! I have one Pedigree Delite and sadly had another who went the pedigree cancer route but hadn't realised they came in these beautiful nursery rhyme sets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I cannot use this blog anymore as I cannot access it to add more posts. Please go to my new blog which replaces this one....
    http://anlabydollhouseminis.blogspot.com.au/
    Thanks, Vivienne Garforth

    ReplyDelete